Wednesday 30 November 2011

My Week with Marilyn

I hadn't heard much about My Week With Marilyn prior to today. Somehow it had flown under my movie-watching radar, and if it wasn't for my on-the-ball mum, I probably would have missed it completely. However, as a big Marilyn Monroe fan (as well as being named after the Hollywood icon), my mum was quick to suggest we take a trip to the cinema.

When the opening credits began, I was ecstatic to see that the film was, in part, a BBC production. I always love proper British films. They have a unique quality that Hollywood movies could never replicate (The Kings Speech being another example of this).

The film begins as it ends, with Marilyn doing what she did best: being in the spotlight. The story, although I'm not sure if entirely true, is soft and insightful. The cinematography throughout the film is beautiful, and the performances are tremendous. Kenneth Branagh is brilliant as the revered Olivier. However, as in the story, he is surpassed by Michelle Williams, who captures the vulnerable and childlike Marilyn almost to perfection.

I would definitely recommend this film. Those interested in the old-school Hollywood glamour will enjoy it, as will those who love a British period piece. It is incredibly light-hearted at times, but like Marilyn herself, under the facade there is a sense of sadness that makes the film that much more poignant and real.

No comments:

Post a Comment