Monday 7 November 2011

Save us Simon

As this year's series of The X Factor approaches the half-way stage, I feel now is a suitable time to evaluate the current crop of contestants beamed into our homes every Saturday and Sunday night. Unlike previous years, I can genuinely say I have not got a scooby-doo who will be crowned the 2011 winner. On the upside, this uncertainty does make the show a bit more interesting to watch. However, it also highlights the fact that this year, the talent is severely lacking.

Aside from Janet, I don't see any potential stars in the line-up. No doubt there are some great singers still in the running (Marcus in particular is becoming the dark horse of the competition, and no one can deny Kitty has a powerful set of lungs on her), but as reiterated time and time again by the judges, The X Factor is not just about the voice. It's about something more, and I have yet to see it.

The new judging panel has also affected my enjoyment of this series. At first, I like the fresh feel Gary, Kelly and Tulisa brought to the show. The format was beginning to feel a bit tired, and the new panel appeared to give the show the lift it desperately needed. But as the weeks have gone by, I began to realise that the programme is just not as good without Simon Cowell.

As much as I like Gary, he just does not have the aura of Mr. Cowell. Simon brought with him a real sense of authority; if he said someone was going to be a star, I believed it. Unfortunately, this year, without the words of Simon to take as my pop gospel, I don't see any stars in the making.

No comments:

Post a Comment