Saturday 12 November 2011

My guilty pleasure

As mentioned in my introductory post, I have a secret love of WWE Wrestling (although, not so secret now that I'm broadcasting this into the blogosphere. Luckily for me, I don't think this will reach many readers' eyes!).

I watch the TV programmes, have the official t-shirts of my favourite superstars, and last night went to my second live show at the O2 Arena. As much as I love my weekly fix of total non-stop action in the form of Monday Night Raw and Friday Night SmackDown, nothing can match the real thing. In a venue supporting 16,000 people, all who share the same passion for sports entertainment, the atmosphere is incredible and the chants that break out across the sea of spectators have real clout. Indeed, I don't think I've heard a crowd boo as loudly as those did last night when John Cena made his hotly anticipated appearance (it's so true, people love to hate).

Although I was unable to bag myself floor tickets, I was pleasantly surprised with how close to the ring my seat was. And aside from the screaming kids sitting behind me and bursting my ear drums with their high-pitched shrieking, it was a hugely enjoyable experience. I got to appreciate the fantastically toned physiques of Cena and Alberto Del Rio, and the hilarious mic-work of The Miz and CM Punk.

The night would have been complete if it were not for the extortionate price of refreshments. I was tremendously looking forward to indulging in a sickly portion of sweet and sour chicken as I sat back and enjoyed the greased up macho men grappling with each other, but to my horror a small portion of my favourite Chinese cuisine would have set me back an eye-watering £9. Usually I would never say no to sweet and sour, but in this case I had to make an exception (I am a student, after all).

WWE returns to the UK in April 2012 for the WrestleMania Revenge Tour, and tickets go on sale this Friday. Hopefully, I'll be quick enough to nab the best seats in the house and experience an even better show next time around. However, you can guarantee I won't be shelling out a tenner for snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment