Saturday 26 November 2011

Alice's Shop

One of the more obscure tourist attractions I came across during my road trip to Oxford was Alice's Shop. Located on a busy main road opposite Christ Church Cathedral, the shop is an Aladdin's cave full to the brim with Alice in Wonderland gifts and memorabilia.

Apparently, Oxford is the birth place of Lewis Carrol's masterpiece, with many inspirations for the stories originating from the city. In fact, Alice's Shop is featured in the story Through the Looking Glass.

When I first set eyes upon the shop, I was disappointed. It is much smaller than one would expect, and the outside is surprisingly understated for a fantasy novel. However, once you step inside, you are transported into the Victorian world of Alice. It is so quaint, with nick-nacks everywhere you look. I was actually overwhelmed by the sheer volume of stuff on display in the deceptively small space.

I couldn't help myself though, and I treated myself to my own little piece of Wonderland in the form of an apron decorated with all the magical characters from the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment