Saturday 19 November 2011

Welcome back Sarah Lund

I don't think I have ever been so excited for a television programme. Ever since I witnessed the final episode of The Killing a few weeks ago, I have been eagerly awaiting the much anticipated second series of the cult Danish detective drama, The Killing II.

Slowly unraveling over the course of twenty hour-long installments, The Killing has become one of the most critically-acclaimed TV shows of the last few years. I've tried my hardest to convert skeptics into believers, using my limited marketing skills to encourage friends and family to buy into this crime phenomenon.

Many seem to be put off by the fact that the dialogue is in Danish and they would have to read those dreaded subtitles. Now, this didn't affect me as I actually prefer foreign films with subtitles to Hollywood blockbusters (I would also like to state, for the record, that this is not because I'm a pretentious culture hog. Films not in the English language are, for me, so much more gritty and real than their million dollar budget counterparts).

But The Killing is so gripping that after a couple of views, you forget all about the subtitles. Both the storyline and the characters pull you in, in a way I have never experienced before. It's like a book you cannot stop reading, wanting to turn the page but also never wanting it to finish.

Now Forbrydelsen II has hit our screens, with our heroine Sarah Lund back to solve another mystery. Unfortunately, this series is only in the form of ten episodes. I guess this means we'll have to savour every second that little bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment