Sunday 11 December 2011

Santa pub crawl

This year my friends and I decided to dive head first into the Christmas spirit and attend the 2011 Santa Pub Crawl. We donned our finest festive outfits to march from pub to pub (with a G&T in hand), all in the name of charity fund raising.

Finding a suitable Santa outfit was a daunting task. I had been told Ann Summers had a nice costume, but there was absolutely no way in hell that I would be venturing outside wearing something predominately intended for the bedroom. However, after some frantic Googling, I managed to uncover a sizable collection of different Christmas fancy dress costumes on Amazon. Again, the majority of those on offer were a little too slutty for pub-wear, but there was one I found that I believed I could actually get away with.

The festivities began at The George pub opposite Borough Market. Upon arrival at London Bridge station, it was easy to know which way to go when we spotted a gathering of appropriately dressed Santas. During the walk to our starting point, we unsurprising received more than a few funny looks from passers by (I blame the candy cane striped stockings worn by my fellow Miss Santas!).

The pub crawl itself was what I expected. Too many people getting suitably pissed in grotty pubs which were too small to accommodate this number of Santas. The event organisers (or Senior Santas to us mere peasants) had to split up the crowd in order to deal with the sheer volume attempting to enter the cosy but tiny drinking establishments.

After we had arrived at pub number 3 (out of 6), we all decided that it was just too busy and so marched off to the Pizza Express we passed on the way there. After a yummy Padana pizza and bottle of fizzy rosé, we were too full to rejoin the masses, and instead made our way home (complete with the obligatory funny looks).

No comments:

Post a Comment